Reog Ponorogo, Truly Indonesian Culture
Reog Ponorogo is one of the cultural arts that originated from East Java and the northwestern part Ponorogo hometown Reog regarded as the truth. Ponorogo city gate was decorated by the figure warok and gemblak, two figures who participated appear at reog demonstrated. Reog is one of the local culture in Indonesia is still very strong with things mystical and powerful mysticism.
History of Rog Ponorogo
There are five versions of the popular story that develops in the community about the origins and Warok Reog , but one of the most famous story is the story of the rebellion Ki Ageng lice, a royal servant during Bhre Kertabhumi, last king of Majapahit who came to power in the century to-15. Ki Ageng lice will wrath the strong influence of the Majapahit king's wife who came from China, while also angry with his king in a corrupt government, he also saw that the power of the Majapahit kingdom will end. He then left the king and founded the university where he taught martial arts to young children, the science of self-immunity, and the science of perfection in the hope that these young children will be the seed of the resurrection of the Majapahit kingdom back. Aware that his forces are too small to fight the royal troops Ki Ageng the political message conveyed through the performing arts Lice Reog, which is a "satire" to the King and his kingdom Kertabhumi. Reog performance becomes a way of Ki Ageng lice build local resistance using Reog popularity.
Mask shown in the show Reog lion-shaped head, known as the "lion barong", king of the jungle, which became a symbol for Kertabhumi, and above it is plugged in peacock feathers to resemble a giant fan that symbolize the strong influence of his Chinese colleagues who manage the over all behavior. Jatilan, played by a group of dancers gemblak a piggyback ride became a symbol of the forces in the kingdom of Majapahit into comparison with the power warok contrast, behind the red clown mask that became the symbol for Ki Ageng lice, alone and carry the weight of the mask Singabarong that reach more of 50 kg using only his teeth. Ki Ageng Fleas Reog popularity eventually led to Kertabhumi padepokannya take action and strike, rebellion by warok quickly overcome, and forbidden to continue teaching college will warok. However, students still continue Ki Ageng ticks quietly. Even so, the arts Reognya still allowed to be staged because the show has become popular among the people, but the story has a new groove in which the added characters from folklore that is Kelono Sewandono Ponorogo, Goddess Songgolangit, and Sri Genthayu.
The official version of the story line Reog Ponorogo now is the story of King Ponorogo who intend applying for princess of Kediri, Dewi Ragil Yellow, but in the middle of the journey he was intercepted by King Singabarong of Kediri. King Singabarong troops consisted of peacocks and lions, while the King of the Kingdom of Ponorogo Kelono and his Deputy Bujang Anom, escorted by warok (men dressed in black in the dance), and warok has a deadly black magic. The whole dance is a dance battle between the Kingdom and the Kingdom of Kediri Ponorogo, and pitted black magic between them, the dancers in a state of "trance" while staging the dance.
Until now people Ponorogo just follow what their heritage as a very rich cultural heritage. In his experience art is copyright Reog human creations that form the flow of an existing trust from generation to generation and maintained. The ceremony also use terms that are not easy for lay people to fill in the absence of a clear lineage. Parental lineage they embrace and customary law are still valid.
Art staging Reog
Reog stories contained in reog ponorogo take Panji stories. The story revolves around the journey of King Kelana Sewandana looking for her hero, accompanied by horsemen and patihnya faithful, Bujangganong. When the choice fell on the prabu princess of Kediri, Dewi Sanggalangit, the goddess gives the condition that he would accept his love when he prabu willing to create a new art. It creates reog ponorogo. Movements in dance reog ponorogo describe the doings of man in life's journey began was born, lived, until death. His philosophy is very deep.
Dancers in Reog Components
There are 5 components of a dancer in the dance Reog Ponorogo, namely: 1. King Kelono Sewandono 2. Patih Bujangganong 3. Jathil 4. Warok 5. Pembarong
- Prabu Prabu Kelono Sewandono Kelono Sewandono this is a major figure in dance Reog Ponorogo. He is portrayed as a heroic king and wise, is depicted as a man with wings and a red mask. He has called the ultimate weapon Samandiman whip.
- Bujangganong duke duke duke of King bujangganong is Kelono Sewandono, is the protagonist in this dance. He is described as grand vizier who was small and short, but smart and agile. Bujangganong duke also called penthulan. Dancers do not wear clothes, just a red vest and a red mask as well.
- Jathil Jathil or Jathilan is a band of female warriors on horseback. In Reog Ponorogo dance, dancers Jathil are women. They are described as a beautiful female soldier and brave. Jathil dancer costume worn is white satin shirt as a superior and a subordinate jarit batik. They wear head coverings and udheng as riding horse shows (a rocking horse made of woven bamboo)
- Warok Warok is Kelono Sewandono forces are described as being immune to magic mandraguna and sharp weapons. Warok dancers are men and are generally huge. Warok dressed in all black (black baggy pants and a black shirt unbuttoned not) called Penadhon. Penadhon is now also used as an official cultural clothing Ponorogo. Warok divided into two, namely warok warok old and young. The difference lies in the costumes they wear, where the old warok before penadhon wearing a white shirt and carrying a stick, while the young warok not wearing nothing but penadhon and does not carry a stick. Warok is the ultimate weapon of the rope of thick white drawstring.
- Pembarong pembarong is a dancer who has the most important role in the dance Reog Ponorogo. Pembarong is a dancer who will bring sudden Peacock (lion's head mask with red ornaments and bird feathers on the head of a lion) is one and a half feet tall. Pembarong wearing black trousers and shirt kimplong (clothes hook with only one shoulder) and had to bite the wood on the inside of a lion's head to lift the sudden Peacock. A pembarong should be someone who is very strong, because he should be able to subdue sudden Peacock to reach the floor and picked it up again to an upright position. Symbolized as a peacock suddenly Singobarong, and in general this is what makes sudden Peacock dance Reog Ponorogo be very unique, because the mask form a very large and distinctive and the presence of philosophy in it. Therefore, pembarong really should have high skills and abilities in order to turn Singobarong he played.
Tag : reog ponorogo, indonesian culture, truly indonesian culture